[ Browse by Service Category : Consumer Regulation : Sub-Topics of Records/Licences/Permits (370) ]

Adoption Records

Programs that maintain and, where appropriate, provide copies of records which document that the parental rights and duties of an individual's birth parents have been terminated and assigned to his or her adoptive parents.

[ View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Beer/Liquor Licences and Permits

Programs that issue licences that provide written authorization for bars, restaurants and other similar establishments to serve alcoholic beverages to the public. Also included are programs that issue special occasion permits for events held in public places where alcohol is to be sold or served, such as weddings, fundraisers and receptions.

[ View Programs and Services (3) ]

Birth Certificates

Programs that maintain and, where appropriate, provide copies of birth certificates, i.e., documents which certify the date and place of a person's birth as well as his/her parentage. Available in most jurisdictions are authorized copies which are required to obtain a driver’s licence, passport, Social Insurance card and other services related to an individual’s identity; and informational copies which cannot be used to establish a person’s identity. Only individuals designated by law have access to authorized copies of a person's birth certificate.

[ View Programs and Services (1) ]

Boat Registration

Programs that issue documents which certify that boats, ships and sailing vessels meet legal and safety requirements and are authorized to be moored in harbours and marinas and used in public waters.

[ View Programs and Services (1) ]

Charitable Gambling Permits

Programs that issue permits which provide written authorization for bona fide charitable agencies, civic organizations, volunteer groups, fraternal and veteran's groups, senior citizen organizations or other legally-approved organizations to operate bingo games or other small games of chance as a fundraising activity.

[ View Programs and Services (70) | Related Topics ]

Death Related Records/Permits

Programs that issue, maintain and, where appropriate, provide access to or copies of documents that relate to an individual's death.

[ View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Document Deposit/Online Storage Services

Offices that provide storage facilities which allow individuals who do not have a safety deposit box to place Wills, power of attorney documents, insurance papers, marriage and divorce certificates, military discharge papers and other important documents in safekeeping. Included are wills for safekeeping programs that provide a depository specifically for a person's original Will. Wills deposited in this manner remain on file until withdrawn by the individual who wrote the will or for purposes of probate. Wills in safekeeping status are not public records. Also included are organizations that maintain secure servers on which an unlimited number of important documents can be stored and accessed at any time from anywhere.

[ View Programs and Services (2) ]

Driver Licence Testing Sites

Programs that establish facilities where people can come to take their written driver's examination and/or road test. Some sites may be limited to a particular type of test, e.g., a weighing station that provides testing for commercial drivers. Included are both the sites where examinations are conducted and the organizations that oversee them.

[ View Programs and Services (12) | Related Topics ]

Driver Licences

Programs that issue permits which provide written authorization for an individual to operate a motor vehicle on public roads and highways following successful completion of a written and/or driving examination and a vision test. These programs also renew driver licences that are about to expire, replace driver licences that are lost or stolen, and process name and address changes.

[ View Programs and Services (56) | Related Topics ]

Firearm Permits

Programs that issue permits which provide written authorization for individuals to purchase rifles, automatic revolvers, shotguns and other portable firearms. Included are programs that license the use of firearms for hunting and other recreational purposes as well as for personal protection.

[ View Programs and Services (2) | Related Topics ]

First Nations Status Registration

Programs that provide access to the official documentation which contains the names of individuals who belong to one of the recognized groups of First Nations peoples. Also included are programs that help First Nations individuals obtain and complete the "Application for Registration of an Adult under the Indian Act" that is required to confirm aboriginal status. Registration is generally through Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC), although depending on the settlement situation, it might be obtained through formal Band membership. A Status Card can be obtained without being a registered Band member. Note that although the rights of Métis peoples are recognized under the Constitution Act of 1982, the Government of Canada neither maintains nor prepares lists of Métis individuals or claimants. Métis individuals need to contact their local or provincial/territorial Métis organization to confirm their status. The rights and benefits of Status for First Nations, Inuit and Métis individuals are dependent on differing provincial/territorial social legislation and any distinct Treaty/Settlement situation.

[ View Programs and Services (22) | Related Topics ]

Fishing Licences

Programs that issue permits that provide written authorization for individuals to take fish from public waters during approved fishing seasons.

[ View Programs and Services (31) | Related Topics ]

Food Handling Permits

Programs that offer permits which authorize the holder to work in the kitchens of food establishments such as restaurants and cafeterias preparing and serving food.

[ View Programs and Services (3) ]

Hunting Licences

Programs that issue permits that provide written authorization for individuals to pursue, shoot, kill, capture, trap, snare or net game birds, game fowl or game animals during approved hunting seasons. Included are licences for archery hunting using a bow and arrow; hunting with muzzle loading firearms, rifles, shotguns or handguns; crossbow hunting (which may be illegal in some jurisdictions); and trapping game using traps, deadfalls or other devices. Hunting licence requirements vary from province/territory to province/territory and may include provisions for completion of hunting/trapping safety courses.

[ View Programs and Services (31) | Related Topics ]

Identification Cards

Programs that issue documentation that is designed to prove the identity of the person carrying it.

[ View Programs and Services (54) | Related Topics ]

Land Records

Programs that maintain for use by the public, real estate maps which show the owner, the assessed value and the legal description of the property.

[ View Programs and Services (10) | Related Topics ]

Landlord Registries

Registries established by cities, towns, townships and other municipalities which contain the current residential addresses of nonresident owners of rental property located within their jurisdiction. The registries are generally established by law and provide a way to identify and contact landlords when there are problems with rental property. Rental property owners (or their agents) are required to maintain their address on file whether the property is occupied or vacant and must inform the municipality if there is a change in their residential address.

[ View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Law Enforcement Records/Files

Programs that maintain and, where appropriate, provide access to records and/or files kept by federal, provincial or local police agencies, the courts or other agencies that relate to the investigation of individuals or organizations suspected of criminal activity; the commission and reporting of crimes; the arrest of criminal suspects; the indictment, conviction and sentencing of criminal offenders; and/or the confinement, probation/parole and release of offenders.

[ Sub-Topics | View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Marriage Certificates

Programs that maintain copies of the instrument which certifies that a marriage between two people has taken place. The marriage certificate is executed by the individual officiating at the marriage and serves as evidence of the marriage.

[ View Programs and Services (14) | Related Topics ]

Marriage Licences

Programs that issue permits, which are usually addressed to the minister or magistrate who is going to perform the ceremony, that provide written authorization for two people to marry. Also included are programs that maintain copies of marriage licences and make copies available upon request.

[ View Programs and Services (18) | Related Topics ]

Medical Records

Programs that maintain and, where appropriate, provide access to the cumulative history of the occasions on which an individual has been examined, evaluated, treated for an ailment or received specific vaccinations.

[ View Programs and Services (2) | Related Topics ]

Motor Vehicle Registration

Programs that issue licence plates for automobiles and other motor vehicles as evidence that the vehicles have been registered with the proper authorities and are authorized to be parked or driven on public roads and highways.

[ View Programs and Services (56) ]

Open Burning Permits

Programs that issue permits which authorize community residents to have open fires on their property for recreational, brush or rubbish disposal or land clearing purposes. Recreational fires generally include bonfires, open-pit burning and barbecues other than those using charcoal or gas grills. Permits are usually issued by local fire departments.

[ View Programs and Services (150) | Related Topics ]

Parking Permits

Programs that issue special decals or other official devices that authorize the bearer to park his or her vehicle in specified restricted areas. Included are parking stickers for people who have disabilities; overnight, weekend or special events parking passes; and other similar permits.

[ Sub-Topics | View Programs and Services (55) | Related Topics ]


Offices that issue passports, i.e., documents which identify citizens, which serve as written authorization from government authorities for citizens to travel abroad and which, in effect, request foreign powers to allow bearers to enter and pass freely and safely.

[ View Programs and Services (17) ]

Public Health Permits

Programs that issue permits which certify that homeless shelters, shelters for women who have experienced domestic violence, hotels, motels, boarding homes, private schools, parochial schools, child care facilities, adult and juvenile detention facilities and other transient housing facilities and institutions are in conformance with public health laws and ordinances.

[ View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Social Insurance Number Documentation

The federally administered program that provides Social Insurance Numbers, now issued in paper format (rather than plastic card format) for people who need to register for employment or financial benefits, report their taxes and track their benefits. Also included are programs that replace Social Insurance cards or documents when they are lost or stolen. Production of the plastic SIN card has stopped; however SIN cards that are not expired and are currently in circulation can still be used.

[ View Programs and Services (8) ]

Street/Sidewalk Use Permits

Programs that issue permits which provide written authorization for construction and property development, signs, street vendors, street performers, sidewalk cafes, sidewalk displays, carriage rides, parades and other special events, and other activities that involve the use of streets, sidewalks, parkways and other public property for private purposes.

[ View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Support Orders

Programs that register, maintain and, where appropriate, provide certified copies of judgments, decrees or orders issued by the court for the support and maintenance of a child or spouse including a child who has attained the age of majority under the law of the issuing jurisdiction or that of the parent with whom the child is living. Support orders can incorporate the provision of monetary support, health care, payment of court costs and arrears, or reimbursement of court costs and legal fees, interest and penalties, and other forms of relief.

[ View Programs and Services (1) | Related Topics ]

Title Registration/Titles

Programs that issue, transfer, maintain on file and, where appropriate, provide access to the official document that transfers ownership of property of any kind from one individual to another or which otherwise provides evidence of the individual's entitlement to the property.

[ View Programs and Services (9) ]

The above terms and definitions are part of the Taxonomy of Human Services, used here by permission of INFO LINE of Los Angeles.