Canada. Service Canada - Thunder Bay District

Service: Social Insurance Number

Description & Services
Public Comments If an individual is interested in applying by mail, they can contact the toll-free number to determine whether or not they are eligible. The website states that an individual must be living 100km or more from the nearest Service Canada location, or have other limitations that prevent them from visiting a Service Canada location. The website lists postal codes that are approved for mailed applications. 
As of March 31, 2014 Social Insurance Numbers are issued in paper format. Existing plastic cards that are not expired can still be used. There is no fee to apply for or replace a Social Insurance Number.
Description (Service) Assigns a unique nine-digit number to individuals living in Canada, who wish to work in Canada or receive benefits and services from government programs
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4 pm 
Toll-free Phone Line: Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Areas Served Thunder Bay District
Eligibility Ages: 12 year(s) and up 
Every Canadian citizen, newcomer to Canada or temporary resident who wishes to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs
  • In person at your local Service Canada centre 
  • By mail if an individual meets the eligibility criteria 
  • By calling 1-800-206-7218 and selecting Option 3 to have an application mailed to you 
  • Mail completed application, required documents and payment to: Service Canada, Social Insurance Registration Office, PO Box 7000, Bathurst NB E2A 4T1 
  • Newborn Registration Service is available in Ontario through ServiceOntario
Required documents
Canadian Citizens 
  • Certificate of Birth or Birth Certificate issued by the province or territory where you were born; or 
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship; or 
  • Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad
Registered Indians 
If you are a registered Indian and you want to register your status on your SIN record, submit one of the following: 
  • If born in Canada, submit your birth certificate and a Certificate of Indian Status (issued by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC)) 
  • If born outside Canada, submit your original foreign birth certificate and a Certificate of Indian Status issued by INAC
Permanent residents 
Must submit:  
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada if claim was processed in Canada 
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or a travel document 
  • Record of Landing issued before June 28, 2002
Temporary residents 
Must submit: 
  • Work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) 
  • Study permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from the learning institution or employer on campus where you obtained authorization to study by CIC 
  • Visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work in Canada 
  • Diplomatic identity card and a note of permission of employment issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Supporting Documents 
This is a legal document indicating the name you currently use and is required if the name on your primary document is different 
If this is the case, you will also need to submit one of the following: 
  • Certificate of marriage, record of solemnization of marriage, or marriage statement 
  • Legal change-of-name certificate or court order document 
  • Adoption order 
  • Notarial certificate 
  • Request to Amend Record of Landing
Languages English ; French
Fees None
Additional Service Sites
Contact Information
Toll Free Phone 1-800-206-7218 Option 3
TTY Phone 1-800-926-9105
Located In Community Thunder Bay
Address 975 Alloy Dr
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6N5
View Google Map
Intersection Alloy Dr and Tungsten St
Physical Access Fully Accessible
Other Details
Legal Status (40) Federal Government
Funding Federal - Government of Canada -- Service Canada