Description & Services
Public Comments As of March 31, 2014 Social Insurance Numbers are issued in paper format. Existing plastic cards that are not expired can still be used; there is no fee to apply for or replace a Social Insurance Number
Description (Service) Assigns a unique nine-digit number to individuals living in Canada, who wish to work in Canada or receive benefits and services from government programs
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-12 noon, 12:30 pm-4 pm
Areas Served Rainy River District
Eligibility Every Canadian citizen, newcomer to Canada or temporary resident who wishes to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs
  • In person at your local Service Canada centre 
  • By mail after downloading the application form from the website or calling 1-800-206-7218 and selecting Option 3 to have an application mailed to you 
  • Mail completed application, required documents and payment to: Service Canada, Social Insurance Registration Office, PO Box 7000, Bathurst NB E2A 4T1 
  • Newborn Registration Service is available in Ontario through ServiceOntario 
Required Documents
Canadian Citizens 
  • Certificate of Birth or Birth Certificate issued by the province or territory where you were born; or 
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship; or 
  • Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad
Registered Indians
If you are a registered Indian and want to register your status on your SIN record, submit one of the following: 
  • If born in Canada, submit your birth certificate and a Certificate of Indian Status (issued by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC)) 
  • If born outside Canada, submit your original foreign birth certificate and a Certificate of Indian Status issued by INAC
Permanent Residents
Must submit:  
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada if claim was processed in Canada 
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or a travel document 
  • Record of Landing issued before June 28, 2002
Temporary Residents
Must submit: 
  • Work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) 
  • Study permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from the learning institution or employer on campus where you obtained authorization to study by CIC 
  • Visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work in Canada 
  • Diplomatic identity card and a note of permission of employment issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Supporting Documents
This is a legal document indicating the name you currently use and is required if the name on your primary document is different; if this is the case, you will also need to submit one of the following: 
  • Certificate of marriage, record of solemnization of marriage, or marriage statement 
  • Legal change-of-name certificate or court order document 
  • Adoption order 
  • Notarial certificate 
  • Request to Amend Record of Landing
Languages English
Fees None
Additional Service Sites
Contact Information
Toll Free Phone 1-800-206-7218 (select option 3)
Site Location Side entrance of Post Office building
Located In Community Fort Frances
Address 301 Scott St
Fort Frances, ON P9A 1H1
View Google Map
Intersection Scott St and Portage Ave
Physical Access Fully Accessible ; Elevator to first floor where office is located
Other Details
Legal Status (40) Federal Government
Funding Federal